Canadian-born singer/songwriter Natasha Meister has been dubbed "The Meister" by local fans, who appreciate the 22-year-old rising star's extreme talent and passion. To her credit, Natasha's the only woman in Africa, who is endorsed by both Fender (USA) and Lakewood (Germany) guitars. She released her debut album, Half Way, in April 2012 with the single "Safe In The Silence" making it's mark on the SA scene.
Natasha recently formed a trio called Natasha Meister Band, which has been making waves with the talented Lance Rhoda on drums/percussion and phenomenal bass player, Revaughn Sackanery. Having performed with some of the best and brightest stars in South Africa such as, Ross Learmonth (Prime Circle), Kahn Morbee (The Parlotones) Arno Carstens (Springbok Nude Girls), Ard Matthews (Just Jinger), Henry Steel Jnr. (Karen Zoid) and Dan Patlansky, Natasha Meister is quickly making a name for herself as one of South Africa's rising stars!
With an upcoming EP release, a full gig/music festival schedule, and an album scheduled for later this year, "The Meister" is turning new fans all over the country to her distinct brand of music. We caught up with Natasha to find out, which movies make her day.
"I watched it like every day when I was little. [on 101 Dalmations]"
I can't watch movies without...
- ...some friends, a glass of wine and chocolate. I’m a slight chocaholic... I blame the Swiss blood in me from my father’s side!
Which famous people share your birthday?
- Britney Spears, Nelly Furtado - also Canadian! And Rick Savage, bass player from Def Leppard. (2 December)
What is the first film you remember watching?
- The first film I remember watching, and was also my favourite for quite some time... 101 Dalmatians. I watched it like every day when I was little. I had the book and sang the songs. My parents even have some video footage from when my sister and I used to sing-along.
What's the worst movie you've ever seen?
- Shark Attack 3: Megalodon - I have nothing more to say. Watch it for a good laugh! Also, there’s a really random porno scene, which I think they decided to throw in just for the heck of it.
Which movies have made you tearful?
- The Notebook, The Pursuit of Happyness, Marley and Me, P.S. I Love You, and The Shawshank Redemption... are all really touching films that got me teary-eyed.
Who is the most famous movie star you've ever met?
- Liam Cunningham from the TV series Game of Thrones, he watched me perform at a gig and complimented me afterwards.
What's your favourite movie line?
My momma always said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump. I live by this quote.
Who would you choose to play you in your biopic?
- Kristen Stewart, I think she’s absolutely gorgeous and talented, and she’s got a tomboy edge to her, which is similar to me.
If you could produce a movie, what would it be about?
- It would be about zombies. Actually, I wouldn’t want to produce it, I’d just want to be one of the zombies... how much fun would that be!
Finally, your top ten movies of all-time...
- The Shawshank Redemption ...such an epic but sad story of a man being wrongly accused and how he makes a plan to get out of prison. No movie has ever moved me like that before - it's just amazing and Morgan Freeman is my hero.
- The Dark Knight ...I love action-packed superhero movies. Also this film has a great cast, which includes Heath Ledger when he was still alive.
- The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King ...a fantasy film, which just draws me in completely and makes me forget about the real world.
- Fight Club ...because Brad Pitt is in it!
- Forrest Gump ...it’s just hilarious and heartwarming at the same time. Also, Tom Hanks is legendary in that film.
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest ...Jack Nicholson is absolutely mental in this film - literally!
- The Shining ...I watched this film when I was quite young and it freaked me out. But it’s a classic horror movie.
- The Big Lebowski ...I dig this random comedy/crime movie. It’s great to watch after a tough day and you just want to kick back and have some laughs.
- The Avengers ...love Marvel films. It was so clever the way they brought together all these superheroes in one film.
- The Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl ...the best pirate movie I’ve ever seen. Johnny Depp plays Jack Sparrow’s role so well. It’s got great humour and adventure in it.
Top Ten Movies with... is a people series on SPL!NG, featuring a host of celebrities ranging from up-and-coming to established personalities from all industries including, but not limited to: Internet, Radio, TV, Film, Music, Art and Entrepreneurs. It's a chance to discover who they are, find out where they're at and to get a fun inside look at their taste in movies.